Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Awakening the Artist Within

"By this my father is glorified, that you bear much fruit..." John 15:8
"The glory of God is man fully alive." St. Iraneus of Lyons 

Many of us are asleep on the inside. God has awakened me to his potential. 

What do you do when you wake up? Do just roll over and go back to sleep? I must admit, I often hit the snooze a couple of times when the alarm goes off. I just want to sleep a little bit longer. But God has a work for me. He has given me the heart and the ability of an artist. He has awakened that ability in me and the desire to make meaningful artwork that will bring glory to his name. I now have an inclination toward being an artist, but too often I choose to roll over and sleep just a little more. So, the work God has for me simply does not get done.

Jesus has woken us up, but we often drift back off to sleep. We are awake but can't seem to get out of bed. The world, flesh and Satan all conspire together to keep us warm and cozy in our beds. When it comes to living my fullest potential I am my own worst enemy. I can blame this unholy trinity, but ultimately, I am the one who gives permission to them; it is my choice. I am the one who chooses to keep hitting the snooze button on my potential in God. He has called me to create beauty in his name, and empowered me by his grace and enables me by his Spirit. Oswald Chambers said, "God not only expects me to do his will, but he empowers me to do it."

"Continue to work out your own salvation," said St. Paul, "in fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." (Phil. 2:12-13) 

What is God's good purpose? It is for me to be fully alive in Christ Jesus. This is my highest potential. It is possible! I can become what God created me to be. I can do all that God has prepared for me to do. He has given me the will to do it and he works in me to carry it out. I can be the artist he has created me to be. 

There is a deeper will in me drives me to succeed in being the artist God has called me to be. But there is a more shallow will; one that is closer to the surface of my life. This shallow will does not take the long view. It only wants instant, immediate gratification. It wants to feel good now. It is stubborn to the will of God and mostly seems to focus on the will of the flesh; it wants to exert its own rights. It comes up with all kinds of excuses, some of them are good, to keep from creating the art he has emplanted in my soul. 

The fruit of my life as an artist is the work of my hands. God has given me a work to do. He has awakened my soul to this work. My creative works may be the impetus God uses to awaken another soul to his or her potential in God. If I keep hitting the snooze, I may be in some way keeping another soul from awakening.

      Picking Berries. Woodblock print. 9"x11" 

No comments: